Thursday, December 16, 2010

Book Review : Dogrun by Arthur Nersesian.

God isn’t the moon beautiful? Every night it gets a new chance to come up just right. And every morning no matter how imperfect it is, it’s just washed away. When you are young you have all these chances, and with time you blow them, one after the other (page 242)


I never judge a book by it's cover, so I picked this book up at a thrift store. I have read other books by this author, including The Perks of Being a Wallflower and I believe that is exactly why I was extremely disappointed. I expected so much more. It starts out with the quote from Ossip Mandelstam: "You and I, well will go to Avenues A and B and see who will die first", which I thought was irrelevant to the book, except that it takes place in New York.. This grungy novel is read in first person by the main character Mary Bellanova in an informal style.Throughout the book, Mary runs around New York trying to figure out the true life of her ex boyfriend Primo who has passed away, she feels like she knew nothing about him with all the details she finds of his existence.My least favorite part of this novel, is when the author goes into detail of the main characters writing (Mary is an aspiring writer). Towards the end there is a conversation about life between Mary and her father that I found really touching. The plot overall isn't exciting until the end, it takes an unexpected turnout, besides that it was a very dull book.

Has anyone else read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Nersesian didn't write Perks of a Wallflower.

    Much as I liked this book upon first reading it, the more you read of Nersesian's writing, the more you'll find that he's a bit of a one-trick pony. In addition, and this is something that has always bothered me about slacker-lit, there is no real conclusion to this story. We are left in the very same place we were picked up when we first started the book: with an annoying, whiny, antisocial tart who continues to think everything in this world is beneath her.

    ReplyDelete