Sunday, January 9, 2011

Book Review: Fight Club

The first rule about fight club is you don't talk about fight club.
The second rule about fight club is you don't talk about fight club.


Let me start off by saying I own the book with the movie poster cover, I HATE it, as recently discussed in a previous post about movie poster covers. Besides the fact I had to stare at Brad Pitt every time I picked up the book, I finished this in a day. The pace is pretty quick, telling the story of a young man, Jack, who is dissatisfied with his life full of failure and boredom. He suffers from insomnia, the only way he can sleep is by going to support groups until he meets a woman named Marla. A part of him loves her and a part of him hates her (literally). He meets Tyler Durden, the master mind of Fight Club. Tyler is everything he is not. He feels relieved after he takes part in fight club, a secret after-hours boxing match that takes place in bar basements. Jack's usual routine life is altered with out of control pranks pulled by Tyler. Jack then tries to stop Tyler from committing crimes and leading them to death. How can one stop themselves? That is the question Jack asks himself. The twist in the end of this novel took me back to reading Ellen Hopkins, Identical. A psychological thriller filled with dark humor. Earned my recommendations!

*This novel is also listed on the 10 best novels of the past 20 years here : http://listverse.com/2010/10/10/top-10-best-novels-of-the-last-20-years/

7 comments:

  1. I love this book! I also love the movie. Brad Pitt AND Edward Norton?! Can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the movie, but I really want to now. I'm in the middle of Revolutionary Road now and I'm tempted to renting the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen that one either, but I looooove Kate Winslet and Leo DiCaprio! /drools

    Yes, I pretty much only watch movies for the guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved them in Titanic, they had amazing chemistry so I'm sure it's a good movie. Haha I do too. I've seen some horrible movies with great eye candy, so I stuck it out to the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't had a chance to read this one but I always heard it was way better than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked the film so am very keen to read the book. Haven't got around to getting a copy yet - but like you I HATE movie book covers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the other way around, haven't seen the movie! You two should definitely read it.

    ReplyDelete