Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Review: Revolutionary Road

If being crazy means living life as if it matters, then I don't mind being completely insane
 The lives of April and Frank Wheeler unfolds in the year of 1955 in Western Connecticut. To anyone walking by the Wheeler's home in the Suburbs they are an average, happy household. they have it all. A husband with a good jobin the city, a loving wife, two good kids, and a home in the suburbs. They live a comfortable American life. In reality, Frank hates his job and April hates Frank. Life has no meaning to them and they just live it as it comes, hating it as it comes. April is unhappy with what has became of her life. She plans on going to Europe, in her mind this fantasy trip will fix her marriage, get her out of boredom and make everything okay. As she plans this trip, everything seems to be going into place until reality sinks in. Her misery brings her to do the unthinkable. Yates added so much visual details into this novel, it is a sif you are there standing in the Wheelers living room watching them argue. I found the Wheelers unsavory and disliked most of the characters in this book, but I think that is exactly what Yates expected. You feel sorry for them and want your life to be as different from theirs as possible. It is sad however, that many people actually live this lifestyle that is presented in 'Revolutionary Road'.  I am the first to admit this is a depressing read, but since it is classified a classic, I wanted to get my own opinion on it. My feelings toward the book are bleak. I neither fell in love with it or hate it. I'm indifferent towards it. I'm interested in watching the movie. I should state once again that the details in this book are magnificent, Richard Yates didn't miss a thing. 

2 comments:

  1. This story is so sad, i couldn't bear to watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad, I have yet to watch the movie, I'm planning to, although I'm a baby and will cry without a doubt!

    ReplyDelete